I call his heavy forest green rayon challis Archer old because I sewed it almost 2 years ago, but it’s got a lot of life left in it because I barely wore it in its original incarnation. Why? Because I had the genius idea to add 9″ inches to the bottom so that it could be a dress. Except for it never looked like I was wearing a dress – it looked like I was wearing a nightgown. Not good.
So, rather than let it languish in my closet, I decided to cut off the length that I originally added. And *bam* I have a new blouse. Yay! As you can see, I originally sewed the blouse too large – although the Archer is meant to be loose fit, I have a ton of extra room in the shoulders and bust. I don’t know why I did that.
To give the blouse a little bit of shape, I added small fisheye darts in the front and back. They couldn’t be too large because it would look ridiculous to have the oversize shoulders and bust and a fitted waist, but a little bit of definition helps the blouse to look intentional. Not wanting to rip and re-sew the pocket, I stopped the right dart at the bottom of the pocket and let the left dart go just a tiny bit higher. Shhh. Don’t tell.
On the back, I stopped the darts just above the skirt ruffle. You can see there’s not much taken out of each dart, but it does add up when you multiply “not much” by 4 so there is a bit of curve to the waist now.
I’m happy I finally made these small changes because it’s like having a brand new blouse in my closet and this heavy rayon is so comfortable and a great weight to carry me through much of the year in Seattle (especially with a satin camisole worn underneath!). It’s on heavy rotation right now!