Fall weather seems to have finally hit San Francisco. All I want to wear right now is jeans or denim skirts and long sleeve t-shirts. While I have a plenty of skirts (although I wouldn’t call 2 pairs of jeans plenty, especially as one of them is pink) to carry me through the season, close inspection of my closet reveals that I have 3 long sleeve t-shirts. And one of them doesn’t really fit me. So, it’s off to the sewing machine!
Since I get bored when trying to force myself to make wardrobe basics, I had to add some interesting details to this shirt that I drafted. I initially thought that I would do a henley style button front with placket, but this knit was so stretchy in every direction (and yet it still has a bit of bulk), that I thought buttonholes would eat it alive. So, I topstitched a band of fabric on to look like a button placket and added these non-functional buttons on top. I also put on a little pocket, cut perpendicular, so that I could play with the stripe patterning a bit more.
I constructed the whole shirt on my sewing machine, using a very small zig-zag stitch (since the straight stretch stitch was also eating this fabric alive). I used a stretch blind hem for the bottom, which I think works very well, except for the fact that I lined up the stitching with a red stripe to make sure that it was perfectly straight. And I didn’t think through the fact that this would put a little piece of oatmeal colored thread in the middle of the red stripe. Oops. (Also please don’t notice the fact that my side seams don’t perfectly align on the stripes. I feel like I have visible panty lines or something with non-matching stripes showing!).
I added one more bit of visual interest to the sleeve. I made a tube of fabric, closed at both ends and attached it wrapping from the inside to the outside of the sleeve such that it pulls up for a small gather. And then I added another non-functioning button. I think my details are subtle, but they make this much more interesting than a plain t-shirt while retaining it’s ability to play well with other pieces of clothing.
I really like the scoop neck on my body (I like my collarbones) so I think I’ll pick up some more stretch knit fabric and make a few more similar shirts. I think I overfit the shirt below the waist, so I’ll probably play with making the next one a bit drapier. I like to have my waist show (since I have a narrow waist) but that always leaves the challenge of having the garment flare out enough to make room for my hips, especially on garments without darts. So, I’m off to a good start on some wearable fall clothes. And I have a stack of bow-neck-blouses planned for next month’s sewalong, so at least I’ll have a good selection of tops to make it through the season!