I made these trousers using Simplicity 3688, the 1940’s reproduction pattern, out of pink 100% linen. I’ve previously made them in khaki. The pattern is so simple and easy, there’s really not much to say. I made these for the sole purpose of coordinating with my pink brocade peplum top so I could have a new outfit for a weekend in Vegas. However, for anyone that’s been following my Me Made May progress on Flickr (or read my summary post from the first half of the month), you’ll notice that I’ve worn these several times already this month. And I’m likely to continue wearing them as they are comfortable, easy to coordinate, a good weight for this time of year, and pink.
I did make a few changes. I altered the back crotch to better accommodate my pear shape (which I got right this time, unlike last time where I mistakenly changed the crotch length instead). I also removed the darts from the front and instead put in pin-tucks. Since these trousers are so full, it’s not necessary to change the side shaping to account for the missing darts you can just subtract the missing width (dart width-pintuck width).
I decided that I didn’t want a waistband on these pants and instead made a facing piece. Since these are so full and drapey, it’s not necessary to calculate out a curved waistband facing. Instead, I made a facing from the top few inches of the pattern, keeping the darts but removing the front and back seams.