3

Katie’s Vintage Inspired Wedding Dress

This summer I had the pleasure of making Katie’s wedding dress. I don’t do a lot of custom sewing these days and I generally avoid wedding dresses because drama, stress, and drama. But I made an exception for Katie and I’m so very glad I did. My step-mom is friends with Katie’s mom. My step-mom told me that the daughter of a friend was a lovely, laid-back woman who was planning a small garden wedding and wanted to use part of her grandmother’s wedding dress to elevate a ready-to-wear dress she had already purchased. She wanted a dress that had a bit of vintage flair that would flatter her tall frame. How could I say no? We were working on a pretty short timescale (less than 2 months!) so I didn’t have time to construct a whole dress. Fortunately, Katie had found a ready-to-wear dress that fit her. It was …

4

Dip Dyed Silk Bow Neck Blouse

I did some simple refashions on this one-time-old-lady-blouse to fun, flirty effect! The blouse was given to me by a friend of Adam’s who was helping to clean out an elderly friend’s closet and thought I would like the silk. I will admit to having been given it so long ago that I don’t remember when and can no longer find pictures of it in its fully native state. But, I can describe what I did to make it the fun piece it is today! It really didn’t take much to give this blouse a new life as part of my Bow Neck Blouse Sewalong, and it’s reminded me that I like to do refashions (which I used to do a LOT, but haven’t so much recently). Like I said, the blouse started as very much an old lady blouse. There were shoulder pads. There were some stains on the …

Dress Re-Make: From Scallops to Greece

I sewed my dress to wear to my step-sister’s wedding last year. The result was tolerable enough that I actually wore the dress, but it just didn’t come together in real life like it did in my head. (Side note: wasn’t my step-sister a beautiful bride!!) The color makes me look washed out. The scallops are uneven if you look too close. The length (just above the knee) seemed not right. And the slight gathers in the waist and the slightly-too-snug hips conspired to make my belly look very, very poochy. So, I cut it apart at the waist. I decided that the bottom of the dress was a lost cause and put it to scrap. I took a length of sage colored fabric from my stash (I believe they were once my mom’s curtains) to remake the skirt. The bodice of the dress ended up rather Grecian in my …